Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

June 27, 2013

Great-Grandparents are truly great!

Hattie is Hubert and Ethel's 21st great grandchild.  But the first one from their youngest grandkid! I'm so happy and thankful that we were able to make a quick trip out to Iona for Hattie to meet G&G.  Growing up their house meant summer to me.  We went at least once a year (always in the summer sometimes during the holidays) and I loved it!  It was consistently warm (unlike summers in Anacortes), there was plenty of food, and lots of card games with grandma and grandpa.  We'd go boating at Ririe reservoir, have wiener roasts in the hills, swimming at Heisie, eat food from the garden, take bike rides all around the completely flat town, and play endlessly in their amazing back yard.  There wasn't a care in the world at Grandma's house!  Except for helping wash dishes and shell peas. 

Today, my grandparents' house is a refuge from the world.  I love going to visit because I can forget about the stress and difficulties of my own life.  For 5 days I was able to let go of my worries.  I can't tell you how wonderful a feeling that is. 

G&G loved Hattie!  My grandma was amazed at how well she can move around.  She is an expert roller!  They were both impressed with how easy going she is.  Grandpa asked if we forget that we even have a baby sometimes. 

My grandparents are incredibly kind, selfless, hardworking, and generous.  I hope I grow up to be as amazing as they are.  I couldn't have imagined better grandparents!  I'm so lucky to have them- and so is Hattie!




Did I also mention they're hilarious?

While playing 5 Deck I was the score keeper.  I wrote down everyone's initials. 

Me "Grandma! We both have initials that spell a word!  I'm C-A-B and you're E-A-R!"
Grandma "What?!"
"Our initials spells words"
"My help! I've lived nearly 88 years and never knew that! (To Grandpa) Did you know that?" "Nope" "I don't know how many times I've written that and never noticed!"

Later in the game grandma was talking about playing with Ashley and Adam:

Ashley would say 'Adam's cheating grandma!' and sure enough his long neck would reaching over here!


A storm was going through Minneapolis, where my uncle Todd lives.  Grandma was telling Grandpa about it:

Grandma "A big storm is going towards Todd's house!"
Grandpa "I'm sure he has insurance"
Grandma "That's not what I'm worried about!  You're not being funny!"
Grandpa "Yes I am!"

It's true, he was.  Kurt and I were laughing!


After our last game of 5 deck Kurt lamented that fact that we wouldn't get to play again for a while.

Grandpa "Well, there'll be a next time...if you guys live long enough!"  Then he smiled. 

I also learned a new phrase from Grandpa: The mop has flopped.  Like 'the tables have turned' but much more fun to say.

My grandparents are seriously the best.  I wish we could visit them more!

1 comment:

  1. Grandma and Grandpa really are the best grandparents. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers