Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

August 19, 2009

Homework Assignment: Wandering

"As I walk down the streets searching for something "surreal" I'm distracted by shops and restaurants. I think of the souvenirs I need to buy for others and things I want to buy for myself. So I do. Then I'm fascinated by the buildings and roads. I love the windows adorned with flowers and how the streets make no sense. They suddenly split into 3 and the buildings shrink and expand to accommodate. Grand structures are found down narrow streets and magnificent restaurants with fantastic mousse hide in side roads. They don't need to advertise their grandeur, they simply are. I realize there is no need to search for something "surreal" for according to those who know more than I reality is surreal...a little boy just walked by wearing no pants, only underwear".

I wrote this sitting here:





















"We happened upon the Palace and Gardens of Luxembourg. Absolutely beautiful and dare I say "surreal". There is nothing similar back home. Being here would feel like a step back in time if not for the thousands of people with their cameras, iPods, and cell phones wearing modern clothing which surround me. I'm resting now, sitting in the shade watching people pass and birds fly by as sweat appears on my skin. This doesn't quite seem true- to be in Paris seems beyond reality."

I wrote this here:





















"We're sitting on the banks of the Seine, not too far from Notre Dame. Falling in the river would be disasterous, but I wish it wasn't so far away so I could dangle my feet in the cool water. The birds fly too close for comfort- they are not afraid of people. It has been a glorious day."

I wrote my final entry here:














*The class I am taking while here in Paris is on the Surrealist movement (hence the assignment. We'll be "presenting" our wanderings in a couple weeks")

*For more pictures of today's adventures go to my Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers