Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

August 28, 2009

Sacre Coeur

I went here today:

You can't miss it. In Paris it's the big, white, domed building on top of a huge hill that looks like it had Indian or Muslim influence (it reminds me of the Taj Mahal). But it's actually a Catholic church. While there we got to see some sort of service. The organ played rather creepily and then a nun came out and set up a microphone and music stand and then sat down. After a while this little old woman stood up and started to sing. She was pretty dang good. A priest (is that right...I'm not up on my Catholic terminology) came out and spoke between verses. It was interesting, but I have no idea what anyone said. Some people were there for the service, they knew when to stand and kneel and even sang along with the nun. I think it would be so weird to have a church service with tourists walking all around, buying souvenirs in the gift shop, and street performers just outside playing loud music for their acts. I appreciate being allowed to go into such magnificent structures. They are beautiful and impressive, but I almost felt like I was interrupting as I had no idea what was going on and I am not Catholic. At least no one was taking picturs (supposedly) because that was not allowed. All in all, it was a good experience and I'm glad we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers