Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

June 26, 2011

2 attempts + 2 failures = 1 hike

Two weekends ago we planned on hiking up to Stuart Lake- the trail head's near Leavenworth.  About a 2.5 hour drive.  So, we got all ready, drove out there- down this windy road and then up a windier, dirt/gravel road that was super scary.  Upon reaching our destination we saw a sign- you need a pass to hike there.  We didn't have one!  After looking at each other in annoyed shock for a few moments, Kurt and I got back in the car and started to drive home.  We stopped at one point and made our way down to the river, but this hardly counted as hiking.  Then we decided to walk around Leavenworth since we drove all the way out there, but it was PACKED.  Not only is it a popular place to visit, there was a car show going on and there was nowhere to park.  So we got some ice cream at the McDonald's drive through and continued home. 





This weekend we tried for another hike- Lake 22.  Great name, huh?  It's near Mt. Pilchuck.  Kurt stopped by REI to get us a pass.  We were set!  When we were about to the trail head (a 1 hour drive) Kurt asked, "you grabbed the pass, right?"  NO!  We forgot it again.  I couldn't believe it.  How could we do this 2 weekends in a row?  We decided to hike anyways.  I wrote a note, placed it on the dashboard and we started up the trail.  And I'm so glad we did!  It was an amazing hike!  There were lots of rocks to climb over which I love because it reminds me of the beaches at home and tons of little streams to cross.  There was this long section in the middle where it was completely open and you could actually see the view (in most Washington hikes you don't see anything except trees until reaching the top).  And then...there was snow!  Lots of it.  All melting, and icy, but snow!  We weren't really prepared for that.  Me in my tennis shoes and light jacket, Kurt in shorts!  And he fell through a couple times...cold!  But it was so worth it.  The lake was gorgeous!  Half frozen with snow on top and giant mountains behind it with waterfalls from the melting snow.  We even saw/heard a couple baby avalanches- they were super loud!  Unfortunately, I was so preoccupied with forgetting the pass I forgot to grab the camera.  The only pictures we have are from Kurt's phone.  We'll have to go back with a camera!  I did take pictures for another group of hikers though- and they were rather impressed!  Although, they were also a little drunk.  They offered me a beer in payment.  I declined...I feel like hiking on a mountain and alcohol don't mix that well. 






These pictures do NOT do Lake 22 justice!

P.S. We did not get a ticket- my guess is no ranger came by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers