Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

January 9, 2015

Grandma

My Grandma is the first person to pass away in my life that I've been close to.  I knew the viewing and funeral were going to be difficult.

The viewing was definitely hard.  At first.  We signed the book, looked at the pictures, went through the receiving line (consisting of my mom, aunt, uncles, and Grandpa), and I was pretty much a wreck.  So was everyone else.  But after being there an hour, watching the slide show, and visiting with family, it wasn't so hard.  Still sad of course, but a little easier.  I was amazed how many people came to pay their respects.  There was a steady stream of people the entire evening.  

The only good thing about funerals is getting to see family.  This was the first time since my wedding that me and my 4 sisters were all together.  Gosh I love them!

The next morning was the funeral.  Mom, Megan, Ashley, and I sang Edelweiss and amazingly we got through the song without crying.  It really was a great service- Auntie Ann, my cousin Mike, and Uncle Todd all gave wonderful talks recalling my Grandma's life and the legacy she leaves behind.  There was laughter among the tears.  Before going in to the chapel, the family stayed behind for a prayer and the closing of the coffin.  My mom was holding Hattie, but I could hear her say "bye Great-Grandma!  Bye!" It was so sweet and sad.  I love my little lady.  

Afterwards we went to the cemetery for the burial and then back to the church for lunch.  The great-grandkids had a wonderful time!  They all just started playing together.  My cousin's two girls (ages 10 and 7) took to Hattie right away and ran around with her the whole time.  It was pretty cool to see.  All of my Grandma and Grandpa's posterity in one place.  We're quite the group :)



Most of the great-grandchildren were given flowers from one of the many bouquets.  I asked Hattie and Afton to show me their flowers, thinking they'd point them toward me for a picture.  Instead, they did this:

Which I love.  I think it looks like they're toasting or giving cheers to their great-grandma, celebrating her life.  

One more of the crazy girls:



Some of the cousins with their flowers:

And the whole group (of my family....minus Ani and Lili- whoops!)


I was in for one more surprise that weekend- Lena's baby blessing was the next day (Sunday) back in Ogden.  She received a new middle name, well two new middle names- Lena Ethel Ann Roth.  I definitely cried!  What a sweet tribute.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers