Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

January 9, 2015

Low Notes

While we did have an enjoyable trip, it was definitely difficult.  I had asthma, and then I got sick, and then Kurt and Hattie got sick too.  Hattie threw up in our bed to ring in the new year!

Here she is the next day, New Year's Day:

But all of this was nothing compared to the surprise of my Grandma's passing.  She went to the hospital and died within a week, two days after Christmas.  Along with her broken shoulder she had a blocked intestine (which eventually cleared), pneumonia, and gallstones.  Aside from her shoulder, I thought Grandma was relatively healthy, especially for her 89 years.  I was just shocked and so so sad.  I love my grandma so much.  We've become much closer over the past few years, especially after I became a mother.  We talked a lot about kids and family.  She was so proud of me and my sisters for choosing to be moms and doing it so well (her words).  I'll miss her humor, spunk, cooking, laughter, kindness, stories, generosity, and her!  I miss you already Grandma.

I'll always remember summers in Iona- picking peas, eating canned peaches, eating too much at every meal, card games, teasing Grandpa, swinging in the backyard, swimming in the horse trough, the cows, riding bikes, croquet, singing, taking drives, boating, and so much more.  Visiting G&G's was the best.  It was a refuge from the world and my second home.  Iona always will be.

I'm sad that my kids won't know Grandma.  But I'm so thankful that Hattie got to know her a little and loved her!  She would hold Great-Grandma's hand, play toys, build towers, and most importantly- they shared ice cream.  I'm also grateful for the past year we've lived in Utah.  We were able to visit G&G much more than we ever would have when living in Washington.  That time is invaluable.  

I'd like to thank three people who helped me through that very difficult week.  My good friend Tori recently lost her own grandma.  I'm so thankful for her insights and kind words, they helped more than she realized!  I'd also like to thank Kurt's grandma, Gram.  She was able to provide me with a much different outlook on my grandma's death- they were the same age and 'kindred-spirits', so talking with her was almost like getting my own grandma's thoughts.  When I told her, Gram's response was "I'm so sorry for you Charity, but I'm so happy for your Grandma".  In my mind, death is the worst thing that can happen.  But at some point, I don't know when, that changes.  Death becomes a release, a return home.  Grandma will be missed terribly, but I know I'll see her again in the life to come.  I'm thankful for the knowledge I have that this is true.

Finally, I'd like to thank Kurt.  Through my sadness and poor health, he was so kind and patient.  Not only was he my shoulder to cry on, but he picked up the slack!  He took care of Hattie, cleaned, packed our bags, made sure we ate, and more.  He never complained, his only worry was for me.  I'm incredibly grateful for the kind, thoughtful, selfless man I married.  He's the best!

After a long trip we were ready to head home to Utah.  We arrived after midnight and left the next day for Iona.

Ready and excited to fly!


Trying out her new headphones:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers