Featured Post

August 2017: Highlights

August was a busy month!  Be prepared for a long post! Roman turned 9 months old! He weighed in at 22lbs (85%) and measured 29 inches (70%...

December 28, 2015

Relief Society

It was fast Sunday in Relief Society and sisters were bearing their testimonies.  One sister, who is a teacher in RS, gave her testimony.  She revealed that she would be moving in the next couple weeks and the thought came to me that I would be given her calling.

Sure enough, a few weeks later I was called to be a teacher in the Relief Society.  I was actually excited, this was the perfect calling.  Not too involved, but enough to keep me busy and focused on the gospel.

The week before my first lesson was to be taught, Kurt and I were called in to speak with the 1st counselor in the bishopric.  I assumed Kurt was getting a new calling...and I assumed wrong!  I was called to be the 1st counselor in the Relief Society!  I was shocked, but accepted.  I was a bit concerned about my ability to do the calling, I was (am) going through a rough time, but I felt good about it and that it would be for the best.  

I soon learned that my good friend Carrie had been called to be the 2nd counselor.  I was so happy to hear that I would get to serve with her!  Having people you get along with in the presidency makes things so much better- meetings are more enjoyable and I think the presidency is more effective.

It's been a couple months now and I can honestly say that this calling has been the best thing.  It keeps me busy when I don't want to think about things, and it has provided me with friends in the ward to be a listening ear and to provide comfort.  I hope they don't mind me sharing, but Carrie and Emma (the president) have both lost children as well. Different circumstances than mine of course, but they understand better than most what I'm going through.  And I've learned so much from their examples- it's not fresh for them (it's been 10 and 30+ years respectively).  I can see that they've gotten through these incredibly emotional, difficult times, and are better and stronger because of it on the other side.  

I have also been  given so much support from the sisters in my ward.  I love Relief Society for the first time in my life.  I love going, I love listening to other's thoughts and testimonies, I love the spirit I feel, and I love the sense of community- I guess that's Zion if we want to technical.  

I even sang a solo in Relief Society the other week for the presidency's Christmas program.  I was super nervous, I played the guitar too, but I think it went well.  One older sister asked if they were allowed to clap and I heard another 'whisper' "she is so cute!" to her neighbor.  I feel so loved by these sisters!  Some that I hardly even know.  It's a wonderful support system that I desperately need right now.  

However, the motto is a lot to live up to "Charity Never Faileth"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Tidbits from my life. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids; Hattie and Roman here with me, and Henry up in heaven. It's the best job ever!

Followers